Monday, September 04, 2006

The Caretaker

So I was talking to Black Sheep (my gay Catholic friend, you remember) after my mini breakdown and he helped me figure out how much of a caretaker I am. I always knew that I had this protector ethos in me. But listening to myself explain it to him, I realize just how passionate I am about making sure people are okay.

So often I get lost in myself explaining something to one of my kids or friends because I'm so enamored with increasing people's bases of knowledge. And just like tonight, I just want everyone to be good and have the things they need to achieve. I think that's why I think law is good for me, or at least the type I plan to practice. Sometimes I see lawyers as the individuals who can navigate all the minutiae of legal code to ensure people are protected. Ideally I want to be working with artists, whether visual or performance, to make sure that their work is protected and that they can be creative without fear of it being taken away or abused.

I love the background and making sure things are facilitated. It's why I was so good at being Executive Vice President of our Student Association. I didn't have to be a cheerleader, but I was known as a guy who could keep things together and make sure things ran smoothly. Setting something up that's wonderful is just as rewarding to me as performing the actual wonderful thing. Tis my nature. Lord let me apply your gifts in the way you see fit

No comments: