Monday, October 02, 2006

Last Days of Summer

Yes summer technically ended about 10 days ago, but in the city of New York, when have calendars ever been faithfully followed save for the ball drop on 12/31.

On the van ride today, I really had a reacquaintance with the city because people seemed to live on corners of the Bronx I was unaware existed. But I didn't mind it so much. My legs weren't really cramped. I didn't have to use the bathroom. Plus I got to people watch a whole lot of people I probably wouldn't have seen.

But surveying the city was like seeing a multitude of movie scenes unfold before my eyes. There was the stop where about 20 children of varying shades of brown shimmied the little that had been bestowed in their short time on Earth to a mixtape of some sort. And they all sang the refrains perfectly timed in their Kidz Bop voices. It was nice to just see people walk around as they enjoyed the last vestiges of warmth before the sun disappears for 3-4 months. Was that really a 8 and 6 year old walking around sans parents? And why am I okay with that for some strange reason?

The city is alive. I'm not sure why everyone is so scared of the place. Law & Order and CSI: NY must have skewed people's perceptions. Walking through Brooklyn Heights is like walking through an all-American neighborhood. Children dance. Teens sit on stoops. Adults excahange smiles. Our difference is that you can get bagel and lox at 3 in the morning and a breathtaking view of the skyline is at our doorstep. And our residents dress better. Other than that, no real difference.

I love being home

No comments: