Sunday, April 01, 2007

Why I Woke Up This Sunday

Every week, I pull myself out of bed between 6:30 - 6:55 in the morning and go work a 14.5 hour shift with the boys. It is actually the best day of the week sans the early morning call. Usually some boys are out on visits and oddly enough it's the day that we actually have an extra staff. We get to chill all day and the boys are pretty copasetic. Why today was so unseasonably warm that we spent 9 hours straight outside. The boys actually looked like real boys, running around and getting bruises that weren't the result of a flip out over missed snack.

And that in and of itself makes waking up worth it. I thought that this would be a regular feature because there is always some quotable on Sunday, and other days too, where we staff look at each other and smile or laugh just because the little guys can be so cute.

So this week's moment is brought by our 8 year old genius who doesn't realize it because his heart beats like a hummingbird even when he sleeps. So he runs into the solution area upset about something and bangs his fist against the wall. He's still going a mile a minute as I try to calm him down and try to figure out what is happening. Mid-sentence, he hawks up a lugie, spits on the floor and exclaims, "Look there's boogers in my spit!"

And that's why I woke up this Sunday.

(He also once called me a "fucking Jedi bitch" when I put him in a time-out)

No comments: