Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Oh My Goodness

What
A
Day

Let's recall that I was awake earlier than I would have liked to be and had issues going back to sleep. We'll move from that point. I was all ready and stuff on time. I went to work for our empty staff meeting and for some reason had the notion to speak a lot more than I have in recent months. I'm not sure it was because there were less people. Maybe I wanted to make a good impression on our new boss. Could have been my morning ritual just snaped something loose. Either way, I was talking.

I think it was precipiattated by the fact that I was reminded in an early part of the meeting that my position was effetively eliminated and that I couldn't even technically pass meds any more. And once again, I knew this was happening and I am perfectly okay with it. But I worked and earned that position so to have it taken away, even though I know it's not personal, I guess it still burns a little. So at one point in the meeting I was like"I think I am checking out today." But then I prayed a little prayer and I got my senses. Even if I plan on leaving eventually I need to give my all to the job. And if not for my own character or something, then just for the kids who already have jacked up situations.

So for the rest of the meeting I was offering plans to end swearing and offering caveats to proposed solutions to existing problems. And afterwards I had enough sense to hook up my good friend Special K with the nod to the program director so that she can come back and work at our program. And I confirmed that I will be backup supervisor ($2 more an hour when Mocha calls out). So that was nice.

And on my week when I should have run shift, I couldn't because my position didn't exist any more. So not only was I an active member of meeting, which for some reason is still important to me for some reason, but I also didn't have to worry about activities that did not exist. I got to be a staff. Hooray.

That all quickly changed. Kids were having fits cause it was campus clean up day and regular kids have fits with extensive cleaning. Now think about that when the kids also got behavioral and mental issues. For the most part guys did what they needed to, but one just decided to lose it and attack the person who was running shift. She had to go to the hospital, which also took our new boss who had to go make sure her eye was alright (8 stitches. She'll be alright but I am working tomorrow in her stead).

Let's do a reset of the situation. At 4:45 p.m., I am now running shift. I am down two staff I was expecting. One staff is stuck with the attacker and another is stuck with a child who was having an issue before the unpleasantness even happened. Which leaves 11 kids with like two staff and a newbie who really couldn't do anything cause it was his first day. Oh yeah and special dinner wasn't picked up casue the supervisor ordered it.

Well initial crisis handled. Assistant Program Director takes a child and goes to pick that up. Dinner commences. But hey, why are kids being amazingly loud and disrespectful. Long story short, by the end of dinner, there were only like seven boys who were eligible for fun things. Yeah that turned to five in a hurry.

Event after event happened. I wouldn't have been surprised if I saw the horsemen of the apocalypse coming upon us. But I just kept praying when I was smart enough to think of it. And it all worked out in the end. I just finished shift report from home. I couldn't stay in that place any longer. It was just too tiring. But I made it.

Why did I sign up for tomorrow?

No comments: