Thursday, April 05, 2007

Dancing In The Subway

Leading back to my possible chemical dependency on the city, I was particularly joyous as I got on the 1 train after a walk through Washington Heights. As my iPod bumped an amazing selection of tunes, I naturally kept in rhythm with it all. And at points my movements were a little involved, as in I was actually moving my hips and shuffling feet along with the music. Nothing too grandiose in my opinion. I wasn't pole dancing or being provocative. Just appreciating the music.

Oh but the people's reactions were interesting. Most looked and were stunned but then they realized it was harmless. Sometimes, the people that had headphones on as well looked over in a state of jealousy. Kind of like "What's he listening to?" Often they would return to their music but with a new outlook. Now they at least bobbed their heads or silently lip synced words.

Why they weren't doing that before is beyond me. I don't mind dancing to help people remember what it is to live, but it's sad that sometimes we forget so easily.

No comments: