Saturday, September 01, 2007

Sunshine Chronicles #4

At 7:45 this morning, I turned off the alarm and got myself some apple juice. I had a really engaging conversation with my Mira (formerly Secret Stripper) last night, but it began right when I would have tried to go to sleep. Instead it lasted an hour and kept me up till 1 something or other. So the early morning call, especially since yesterday I had also had limited sleep was potentially painful. It didn't help that we were headed back to Orlando and my godbrother (he needs a nickname but we can let that marinate) is 90 minutes away. Plus, it was us, his girlfriend, and his parents about to pile into a Kia for the hike.

I somehow was ready in 20 minutes but I kind of foresaw the issue ahead of time and had everything already prepared. The drive was initially grating due to the inane conversation about flood lines and lawn mowers. But when we started to talk about urban infrastructure and the two sidedness of the Adventist organization, I found my groove and seemed to salvage any poor impression I might have left on the parents.


The big reason we were there was that it was Northern Caribbean University day. Its the Adventist institution in Jamaica and the alumni chapters organize days at their local churches and everything is centered around the institution. In New York, it used to be more of a big deal, but has dwindled over time. but this time, we're in Central Florida, where its still pretty big. And I had more motivation to make the best of it cause I had promised Mira I would shoot some videos to explain my very peculiar religion. The more and more I try to explain it, the more and more I realize that it is a culture even more peculiar than I originally realized.

Another added bonus about the event was the fact that my goal in life is to maintain the cool of being an old West Indian man and they were there in spades. Now to clarify, I think that the British influence in Jamaica is something that I love a lot. I like the style. I like the football. Now when that is coupled with our African descent, I think they epitomize ease and cool. There is still a drive in them and a sense of what should be right in the world, but also an appreciation of the simple things in life. Its why someone shouted out during the service that hopefully dominoes would be part of the post-sunset activities. The actual president of the university was the perfect example. He deliveered a message that began with the most articulate greetings but slowly became more and more colloquial and passionate as time wore on. He wove humor throughout, spoke tangentially, and honestly was never completely cohesive. But you still got the point of what he was saying, mainly how important the school was to so many people's lives and just how the opportunities we are afforded are so valuable. Man I want to be an old West Indian dude so bad.

Anyway, feeding the masses was next up on the agenda and I volunteered to help set it up. It was frantic but it was fun. And after it was all done, I sat down for an articulate discussion with my mom and godsisters about my godbrother's contentious relationship. Between Mira and Doodlebug, even a late night conversation with Hixican Jew last night, it has been so nice to have articulate conversation. I didn't realize I was devoid for so long.

Then the girlfriend began itching to leave so me left 90 minutes before we had originally agreed to. And we made an unexpected stop at one of their friends' houses where I got to play soccer with their 4 year old. He had boundless energy and by the end I was sweating too. The kid is a natural athlete though. His sliding tackle was immaculate. And he had the perfect pose for the camera after it was all done.

I dodged the inane conversation on the long ride home by taking a nap. And when we closed the Sabbath, I actually prayed a sincere, considerate prayer. I was surprised since I haven't really been in practice.

Anyway off to Home Depot and maybe some food.


Prayed a decent prayer

No comments: