Friday, September 07, 2007

I Think I Like Chelsea

That would be the neighborhood in New York City, not some girl I magically came up with. Yesterday, it was where I was playing golf and found those shops that piqued my interest. Today, after I checked the test print of my grandfather's photo, I happened to meander the 20 blocks away and found myself there again. Its filled with the young, eccentric, and sometimes affluent that I would like to think are the closest kindred spirits I have.

And there is where television personalities feel comfortable enough to be normal people. In July, I found myself in line behind Mo Rocca, former Daily Show correspondent and now pop culture guy. Today in Starbucks I was lucky enough to give a compliment to Kelly Coffield, whose primary claim to fame was the lone white woman on In Living Color during the hey day of Jim Carrey and Damon Wayans.

The streets are relatively clean. There's a nice mix of mainstream and eccentric shopping. The people range from early 20s to middle age, but the common thread is that they all seem to be fresh, young and current, no matter the age. It seems like the closest one can get to an environmental fountain of youth. Now the trick is getting to the place where I can afford $2,000 in rent for a tiny 1 bedroom. Such is life

No comments: