Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Ego Stroked But Now There's Chafing

Today, I was very prepared at work. I knew the therapy group I was headed to and even made sure I checked in with the group leaders about the transition plan. Of course I took my one boy to the scheduled room and no one informed me they changed it. So when I brought him in about 20 minutes late, I thought when my program director wanted to check in with me, I might have been in some slight trouble.

Lo and behold, he was actually telling me about how the program with the oldest boys is a mess. Wolf Fighter, who was given the supervisor spot over there, had allegedly been in their program director's office in tears and feeling overwhelmed. And in the ensuing tete-a-tete between these program directors, they decided to ship me out to that program for a month.

Of course, I could hardly contain the smile in my heart. He basically told me that I was well regarded enough to go quell some fire on the opposite side of campus. Little old me was going into the trenches to reset the order.

But then wait. If I'm going back to my original set of boys, won't a month of absence damage my authority with them? How many routines and incidents could occur that I wouldn't be aware of? How would I get my requisite play time since the older boys love Magic, video games, and computers? And if they're shipping me around like some mercenary to help brring about piece, will I have some authority to actually change things instead of just being an actual strong staff?

It started to bug me as I thought about it. It's like I'm a piece of meat. And Mira, fresh from her reshuffling, commisserated with me as well. But an e-mail will go out to those same program directors tomorrow and hopefully clarity will reign again.

It still sucks though

Update - Thursday, September 27, 2007, 2:26 p.m.

So I sent my well crafted e-mail this morning. First I thanked them for thinking of me, then I went into the original problems I had viewed in my earlier visits to the program when they had no one to do their meds, and then I asked for clarity. I got a reply from their program director to call him. Now I'm thinking that maybe I was too big for my britches and came off as arrogant.

It doesn't help that the guy speaks in a monotone and that upset sounds just like excited. As soon as we get past the pleasantries, he's saying he was "out of his chair." In anger? In joy? Luckily it was the latter. So now I'm feeling joyful again cause he promised to meet with me on Monday after he boosted me up by bigging up my character. "It's like you read my notebook"

I still don't like it, but I'm somewhat excited about the opportunity.

Update - Friday, September 28, 2007, 8:58 p.m.

Yeah so my program director, who also received the e-mail, replied to it today. He also gave me compliments on character, but he also said I would split my week between my program and theirs. So now I'm thinking I'm just a staff. No authority. I am not a happy camper. He squashed whatever optimism I have. I now go plan to eat a lovely meal and forget that this is happening.

No comments: