Sunday, September 02, 2007

Sunshine Chronicles #6

Before I even stepped on a plane, the plan for today was to be a housewarming for Driven (the name I have chosen for my godbrother). But when I touched down on the soil, I learned that the plans were cancelled due to his leech, I mean, girlfriend's parents unexpectedly staying an extra week in the house. But when I learned that they were leaving Sunday morning, I petitioned to Driven about the event and he invited the family anyway.

To start with, it was nice to walk in the house and not need to be on guard with the parents around. Each time you interacted with them, there was the threat of being drawn into inane conversation for who knows whatever reason. I've spoke on it before but the need to speak all the time is grossly overrated. Anyway, the little minx wasn't too bad in the morning cause she did cook breakfast. But within the hour she was gone, and then the house was completely chill. It was like a huge bachelor pad

I'm sad that I lost touch with Driven over time though cause he is a kindred spirit. As we argued over Meet The Press, I realized he is one of the few who can understand a lot of the things I go through just because we were raised very similarly. Then we watched Sports Center, Idlewild, and golf. We chatted. We were peace. It was vacation. Even Driven seemed to lighten up immensely when she was gone.

Finally the whole party arrived, and the tour was on. Out of nowhere the little minx just reappeared and the balloon just deflated. Luckily the excitement of the house initially masked the discontent, but eventually it reared its ugly head. When she went along with Driven and his boy for more supplies at the Home Depot, I debriefed Meters (my godsister's chosen name) and her mom on my conversation with him. The basic points are that they're just not right for each other. In biblical terms, this would be called "unequally yoked." And for them, it's on a myriad of levels. Culture, interests, intelligence, you name it. They're just not on the same page. About the only thing I see they have in common is having melanin, shared melanin, and a possible belief that some degree of misery might be a natural part of life.

Anyway, then me and Meters ran out to get the Ruby Tuesday order we had placed and then we all ate. The minx was there and honestly you felt a temperature change with each room she progressed too. I was tired of her presence because over the weekend it was so much easier to see how different Driven was with her and then without her. We even tried to convince him to return to Orlando with us that night, but we know the only reason he didn't come was because he was scared of the fall out from her. They're not even technically dating. And it's his life!!!! Oh let me stop before I get more passionate.

I packed up my stuff and headed back with Meters and my godparents, where I updated my godfather on what I had told Meters and her mom earlier in the day. Sadly I learned more information that made me like the minx less. But me and Meters had fun with it along the way.

And now I type from my aunt's mini office on an iMac that is ancient. But I am surrounded by portraits of my family and it is enough to almost move one to tears. In the message he delivered yesterday, the president of the university alluded to recognizing the people and experiences that made us who we are. Most of the events this weekend have helped me realize how often I draw on the experiences related to my family in my modus operandi even now. During the ride with Meters, we also touched on my cousins, one of which she had some sort of attempt at an intimate relationship. And it was funny to see how they diverged from the path we seemed to be raised in. The selflessness and consideration i'd like to think of as some of my most central traits were nurtured by my family. I wouldn't be who I am if it wasn't for the excursions to Maryland or the Sabbath dinners at my aunt's house. My mother is who I derive the most influence from and she was raised in the same way. How can I not credit them for who I am? If anything, right now I am more remiss that I let myself forget and that I have somehow come short on what I should have delivered back to them. But it's better late than never.

I'm sleepy though. Good night.

No comments: