Friday, August 31, 2007

Sunshine Chronicles #3

My godbrother, who served as my childhood best friend and who I rediscovered today is still an excellent friend, picked me up at my aunt's house around noon. After I sent off the rent check I forgot to leave in my haste, we ambled around the city car shopping and intermittently discussing relationships, sports, politics, and all the other randomness that men our age do.



First he stopped at a spot he likes to frequent. There the love affair that was budding with a sexy black Dodge Viper was prematurely terminated by a slightly racist owner who wouldn't let him take it for a test drive, though he's bought from the dealership before. Tempered by that we skipped over the BMW dealership as well. Two young black men rolling up in a rented Kia doesn't exactly garner enthusiasm amongst the sales staff. But we did go to his definite intended destination which was the Infiniti dealership.



As torrential rains began to pour we luckily ran into a salesman who originally hailed from Long Island so we were immediately put at ease. The car he wanted to see was out in the rain so we headed into the last year's model which was in the showroom. And just like the car shows we used to frequent as children, we ooohed and aaahed at the sleek lines and incredible craftmanship of the machine. Then the Mother Nature decided to pull back the rains just enough for the salesman to grab the keys to the coveted car in the rain and put it back in its covered arena so we could sample it for real and give our imaginations a break.



One day, I will tell my children that this was the car that actually made me get serious about getting over my New Yorker/Peter Pan complex and get a damn license. I might get a fish and name it Infiniti G37 just to say I have one. The sleek lines and amazing attention to the design aspect of it drew me in. The performance specs, both on paper and what I felt in a test drive of last year's model, made me melt. But the clincher was how when I plugged in my iPod, the Infiniti symbol came up on my iPod's screen and we could control it through the dash and the steering wheel. And there it was. Cars are toys. I love to play. I want to play. And go fast at the same time. I'm sure my dad won't get it, but he'll just be glad I've got the license eventually.


We came back to his new mini McMansion which he's lived in less than a month. And when I saw the space, I immediately wanted to own a home. Before it has been a passing fancy. I was always ambivalent about it growing up in the city. Every once in a while there is a passing fancy whenever I see Banana and her sister making improvements on the Milk Street Mansion but I never really had to own. Seeing the space and the huge television and just the autonomy of it all. Making a space completely mine is very intriguing. I was motivated again. So it's a good thing I want to find some direction because these desires will require capital I do not have.

No comments: