Friday, August 31, 2007

Sunshine Chronicles #2

The world keeps turning and change is inevitable, but the few bits of stability we have are often taken for granted. Last night when I was looking for more ibuprofen for my troubling sinus aches, it was easy to find cause I knew exactly where to look. Why was that? Because my aunt is a Harriott woman and so was my grandmother. Along with my other aunt, they passed along the certain traits of organization to their children, including my mother. So in no time I had found the meds along with the bowl of fresh fruit that you can find in each of their houses. And this was the first time I had ever stepped into her house.

This morning I knew that there would be cereal somewhere and knew that there would be tpast and margarine to accompany them. Of course some special treat was somewhere around the corner, and my mother delivered it in the form of ackee, a Jamaican specialty. And though I have been away from these treasures for so long, and don't really even crave them as much as I once did, it is so nice to know that I can still count on them.

No comments: