Tuesday, August 08, 2006

The Roots w/ Talib Kweli @ Avalon

I can't hear anything below 80 decibels and even then it feels like cotton is in my ears. My ankles, feet, and calves could use serious love and care. But I just had some gooooooood music so it's alright.

Welcome to another concert review. It seems I have been making up for lost time this year in terms of concerts but music is music. Especially that good music. I need to see opera and jazz this year for good measure just to keep myself even.

Anyway, Special K, One Time Jake, and a friend of his and I all headed down to Alewife, took the red to the green and hit up the Avalon. Now none of us had been there ever. It is a dance club and was confusing as to why this hip-hop show was taking place there. But it all came together when we realized Kool cigarettes was a sponsor and they probably chose the venue to help themselves out.

Whatever.

Pharcyde came out first and rocked some of their newer joints. They maintained their energy throughout and kept the crowd hype though it was obvious most of them had no idea who these people were. They brightened up for "Runnin'" and "Passin Me By" though. What helped them was that they knew they were warm up and made no bones about it. Sometimes the warm up act gets delusional and likes to think that people there are actually trying to see them when it's not usually the case. If your name ain't on the ticket, please don't get full of yourself. Just be grateful that you're on the bill and you might move a couple more copies of your album. Anything above enthusiastic humility is unwarranted. But Pharcyde killed it and made me actually consider illegally obtaining their last couple of albums.

After they left, the host came out on some real hip-hop ish. His name was Destroy or something. Dude had mad energy and the DJ had a wonderful mix of like early to mid 90s hip-hop that was banging. But it just went on a little too long. Like if I was in a park for free with a barbecue going, I probably would have egged him on. Actually any free event and I could have said nothing. But it was cramped, I was getting cranky, and yes the Roots and Kweli should have been on soon so ummm yeah. Let's start the show. His energy inspired me for work tomorrow.

Finally there was movement once the stage went dark. Thought started off with Web like he did at that RCMH show two and a half months ago. Always puts me in awe. Even though ?uest himself called The Tipping Point a B-, and I finally agree it isn't there strongest, I still think that Black Thought continues to prove himself as a pure MC on that record. His word play, cadence, and charisma hit new levels there. I think he finally got comfortable in the shine. Now the hope is that he preserves it and doesn't burn out, which so far from Game Theory seems to be achieved cause it's short and has more guest appearances.

They whipped through a mixed bag of new stuff which was met with more musicality than I'd heard from them. I'm still amazed at Cap'n Kirk and his George Benson impersonation. But honestly his guitar work adds a lot. Even on the old songs I was still getting something new. The energy they displayed was phenomenal and is probably what kept the crowd so into it. This is where I break and give props to Boston but yall were actually liver than me. Sadly I was not in prime position to wild out. I like some personal space to make sure I'm not in serious danger of hurting anybody and that was not the case at cramped Avalon. But Beantown held it down (really didn't mean for that to rhyme).

Kweli came out in the middle of the Roots set and killed freestyles on Get Em High and something else. He did a lot of Beautiful Struggle including I Try which was disappointing. But he did take it back to Reflection Eternal and brought out Boston local Akrobatik who dropped a sick freestyle himself. This was the most engaged I've seen Kweli in a while. Maybe it was the freedom like there was nothing to prove. The last two times I've seen him, he was part of the big Roots extravaganza and the other time Mos was rocking after him. Both times he felt kind of restricted. This time it's like he was cool coming off the bench and infusing energy. Though he still isn't the best showman, he represented.

The Roots came back on and did some more songs and solos and then we left to make sure we'd actually make it back in time to get in the car. All in all a great show. The Roots are my favorite band ever from rhymes to music. Game Theory is off the chains. I'm going to sleep.

No comments: