Monday, August 14, 2006

Gifted

I was randomly ruminating just now and it occurred to me that there are different types of giftedness, mainly 2: soulfully and technically. I think I'm thinking about this in reference to the creative arts but possibly it can apply to even more realms of thought. It's 3 in the morning and my brain is not exactly at primo capacity.

But think about it. There are some people just born with a preternatural ability to just excel at something. The example most pressing in my head are the singers in Black southern churches who just somewhere around the age of 8 belt out a tune like they wrote it themselves. And with such passion and feeling that you feel everything they're feeling. And these are the soulfully gifted.

Then you have the people that just work hard at something and become technically gifted. Like playing an instrument. For some reason Eric Clapton comes to mind. He is widely considered one of the best technical guitar players of all time. But watch that he still admires all the blues musicians who are not as technically gifted but definitely soulfully gifted.

The two concepts are not disentangled. A little bit of soul helps drive the technicality and vice versa. When you put the two together, that is where you get your optimum production. This is probably all gibberish so I'm stopping now

No comments: