Thursday, July 13, 2006

That MySpace Beast

So I am randomly reading articles, trying to forget that there are muscles on my body that I forgot existed that are screaming out in pain even as I type this when Messenger alerts me that I have new MySpace comments. Sadly, MySpace as inane and unproductive as it is, these little messages spark enthusiasm in me. Immediately I'm trying to figure out who it is. Could it be the Special K who I just dropped a comment on myself? A long lost friend just saying hi? The possibilities are endless.

So imagine my surprise when both comments were from the same person, someone I talk to umm let me check, never. Okay sparingly. But still. And furthermore, one of the comments was a graphic that said "Made In The Ghetto." The other comment said "I thought you would appreciate this."

What?!?!??!

Anyone that knows me knows that the only thing the ghetto makes me is frustrated. I lived close to the ghetto but I only ventured into its outskirts to get haircuts as a child. So her comments baffled me to no end. Could she have placed them on my site by mistake? I would hope so but the fact that she did two back to back makes me think it was purposeful.

I predict MySpace will add a whole new level of psychoses onto this generation, especially regarding social cues. With the inclusion of a Top Friends feature, feelings are bound to get hurt over the inclusion and non-inclusion of individuals. Once again I find myself dealing with a conundrum. A beautiful girl I went to school with but only randomly reconnected with at a birthday party for a mutual friend last year has me in her Top 8. I kept checking each day to see if it was a mistake, but each day I found myself thoughtfully looking away on her page. And she did drop a comment on me recently. Could this be an invitation to something more? Maybe in that brief connection last year she hoped for something more from our relationship. How is one to proceed? Well I just put her in my Top 16.

And that's the thing. There's a dude I hung out with last year while he was at our school and I am in his Top 8 or 12 as well. Out of courtesy, I felt inclined to include him in mine. Then there is the order of the thing. After the first 5 or so, I stop caring. But the teeny boppers and the ones who still maintain that level of thinking are bound to get hurt in their perceived orders. "Why am I number 6 and Amber is number 3? What about spring break?"

Is life really worth all this stress. I swear human beings look for ways to get themselves riled up and get angry about things that really have no real influence in the way they live their lives. Anyway, I need to catch up on my MySpace bulletins

No comments: