Sunday, June 25, 2006

Wedding Season

So here I am at what constitutes an undesirable inevitably of my life. Despite my attempted hermit style living, I have amazingly cultivated friendships with people who like the idea of getting married. I personally am cool with the idea but the fact that they are my age - or in today's case, younger - leaves me disconcerted. There are a plethora of reasons.

One is that it seems like a pretty young age. There is still so much to accomplish. But what troubles me more is that I feel as though I might be a failure. Why did these people find their ones so quickly? Is there some step that I overlooked, some function I did not undertake.

Being the son of a wedding planner doesn't help things in the situation either because I get hypercritical when I should be enjoying. We started 45 minutes late and the wedding pedigree is starting to show up. Like why is the matron of honor snapping gum? Why is the alleged coordinator emceeing the processional? In their youthful haste, certain things have been overlooked.

But its cute when the junior groom chases after mommy, the matron of honor. The flower girl stops a quarter of the way and gets ultra focused on her task. And there's the bride, blushing and beautiful.

For a moment, as her contemporaries try to hide tears, it makes me long for my own special day.

No comments: