Friday, June 02, 2006

N File: Rainer Maria - Catastrophe Keeps Us Together

This one has been especially gnawing on me as I scrolled through my smart playlists. I remember that I originally read an article about them in the New York Times by Kelefa Sanneh, a writer I respect who has very interesting angles on music.

Anyway I picked up the disc and finally pressed play and I was blown back by some very driving guitars. Then this girl starts singing oh so melodically over this super driving track. I felt like I was at an arena concert. And I wanted to jump around. My head was nodding all over the place. Turns out it was the title track. The next one "Life of Leisure" was even better than the first. These guys can rock.

The energy goes down a bit for the rest of the record but its all enjoyable. The girl sounds like a more mature version of Avril Lavigne, in style and content. Like she draws out notes instead of chopping them up. But definitely replayable. Now I gotta find out what their name means

No comments: