Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Aja Gave Me A Hug

I had qualms about buying tickets to this concert. I don't know why. Because by the end I wondered if $15 could be spent so well again.

So it was with some worry that I came to S.O.B.s tonight. I knew that there would be a large single African-American female contingent that would simultaneously excite and depress me. The exciting part is easy. Black women are fine and when you know that they are doing their thing and have disposable income, that makes them all the more attractive. But it is depressing because honestly there is no one to share it with. Black women fight to the death for their black men but suitable candidates are rare. Even if you meet the brother without a criminal record or children, the odds that their ambitions and education match up are very unlikely. So once again there were seas of girlfriends but a sparse sprinkling of brothers. Hence why I received so many looks throughout the night. (Plus the fact that I got the sickest shapeup ever and some have told me I am fine).

Kindred the Family Soul consists of Aja Graydon and Fatin Dantzler, a married couple. My own generation's Ashford & Simpson. Backed by a wonderful band, they tore down the club formerly known as S.O.B.s. They effortless weaved from music from their own releases to old school classics that my slightly middle-aged crowd could appreciate. Best of all I got a hug from Aja (good post title huh?) and a pound from Fatin.

What I learned most is something the leaders of my church have been trying to pound in the young people's heads forever: Music is a powerful thing. I left there wanting to hug the world. Let's be honest. I was ready to make love. As I left, one of the women I had made eye contact with throughout the night gave me an extended glance outside. I'm pretty sure I could have headed in a cab with her and had a nightcap and my cap knighted. But we're trying this celibacy thing though. Honestly, Osama and Dubya could have walked into that concert and came out hugging. And look I was SERIOUSLY tempted to fornicate with someone I had just met. Such power in the music.

Plus Aja gave me a hug. What a woman!

No comments: