Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Once Again

Right after I posted about all the good feelings I was in the midst of, I checked my phone to see if I had missed any communcation during my grooming work. There was a message from Mocha (who doubles as my supervisor) informing me that he was out for the day. Alright, no official panic.

So I jump on the internet to check e-mail just to prepare myself for the day. Another staff, a very good one, called out as well. Okay. A bit nervous. Oh wait our assistant program director set up group therapy groups for me. Wait, the next e-mail says that those were cancelled.

To recap: A supervisor and a strong staff are both out on the same day. That leaves me to run the shift with 3 staff and 15 boys. No visits or special activities that would rob me of kids for even a little

Prayer time. I don't remember what I said but I know I asked for patience and wisdom.

At the end of the day, no holds and no cool downs. Nobody even used the solution area. How awesome iis God. I'm tearing up just thinking about it. I did get help. One of the day staff stayed till 5 and the back end supervisor came out to help for about 4 hours. But even that is evidence of God's mercy.

And I was really proud of myself throughout the day. Kids kept moving. I never lost my cool even as one child threw snowballs at me (he later pinned a peer inside perfectly) or even when a boy left the hall and almost got to the back door before staff could stop him. I got to talk with kids. I just felt good. A different feeling. Maybe accomplished.

I know a lot of people look at our job as temporary, including me. But I really care about it I guess. I'm glad I had the experience at the very least.

No comments: