Sunday, October 02, 2005

Heaven/Hell

The first 12.5 hours of work today were wonderfully pleasant. I overcame our invisible staff member and the interactions with the kids were pretty good. There were some incidents but surprisingly tame.

Then I went to the gym, an assignment I particularly bathe but surprisingly it was still pretty good. Until the end. One kid starts throwing balls directly at another. The other one strikes back and a struggle ensues. All hell breaks loose. I've got four kids in a gym with two overheated, another one ready to blow, and a fourth ready to cry at any moment. I swore I wasn't coming back like Colonel Kurtz in Apocalypse Now. Finally get my supervisor when one kid decides to run away. So now I'm Michael Johnson and have to put him in a hold on the cold pavement.

Yeesh! When I got back and things calmed down, I got to joke with my favorite kid and co-worker and I was cracking jokes forever. So that was heaven to go with the hell. I still needed self-medication to cope though.

No comments: