Saturday, October 01, 2005

Am I Really Dismissive?

After my happy Sabbath day, I hoped to continue the good fortune into nightfall. So I'm talking with Kate, her mom, her (we'll say) cousin and a friend of mine and Boy Wonder's. Somehow we end up talking about how jacked up the country is. And I made the remark that the new Supreme Court is probably going to make abortion illegal. Kate said that it won't happen. And even if it did there would be an uproar. Are you kidding me?

There will be six conservative leaning justices. If they vote for it, how the hell are things going to change that decision. Kate "People will be harassing Congress to change it." Even if the majority of congress was pro-abortion, they can't pass laws for it once they declare it unconstitutional. You have to pass an amendment and last I checked the Congress and state legislatures you need to approve such a measure are still mostly anti-abortion. "But it's an issue for everybody." Yeah those auburbanites' daughters are getting them, but they don't want to believe that they are. Denial is the only river that flows through every state in the union and as long as food is on the table, the minivan has a loaded tank, and Bobby & Kimmie's teachers aren't raping them but getting them to read, well everything is gravy. If there's going to be a bloody uproar if abortion goes out the window, then Dubya wouldn't be in office in the first place. The issue is so far down on people's priority lists, it might as well not exist.

And I told her this. And I said she was wrong. Which she is. Her naive idealism and passion are very attractive features. I think that's what drew me in the most when we dated. But isn't it better to crush the stupidity early so that the disappointment is not as great later? Plus it encourages one to develop well thought out positions and not heat of the moment empty rancor. Call me dismissive if you want, but I'm a necessary evil.

No comments: