Saturday, January 21, 2006

Man to Man

So I've done things in the past couple of weeks that I thought I'd never have the courage or gumption to do. But I sucked it up and did it. Now I challenge myself to tackle one of the biggest albatrosses that has occupied my life: my father.

As many father/son relationships go, it has been quite an arduous affair. He's made his share of mistakes which he regularly must dwell on. He sees me and I am possibly doing some of the same things so he tries to step in and be a father. This I greatly appreciate. My problem with it though is that he never tries to understand why I am doing the things I do. I personally recognize what I am doing wrong but I am trying to go about my journey and work out as many kinks now as I can. I feel as though he kept plugging along without reflecting on the trials he faced which caused him issues later on.

The straw that broke the camel's back most recently was the fact that I dropped my chemistry class. I wasn't motivated to do the work and my work schedule didn't help with it much. Most importantly I decided I didn't want to do the medical school route (for now). So why waste the time and energy on something that was unnecessary? Anyway, he had a mini-eruption and has been pretty incommunicado since.

But can I be the bigger man and just give him a hug and let him know how much he means to me? I said it. It's out there. Now for the follow through.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think your dad's a great guy...but then again I don't have to deal with him on the level that you have these last 24 years. As long as you two have a mutual respect for each other, him blowing up on you should be like the passing of the wind. BTW...You're in school? Again? You're a trooper bro.

~

Roberto