Monday, August 22, 2005

Belonging Part 2

Yeah so every day I've been doing this guilty pleasure thing - okay it's straight up self-interested. And that is constantly going to my Hi5 page and noticing all there is to know about Adam. Or at least as much as the site can tell you. Alledgedly, it is a way to keep in contact with all your friends and meet their friends so you can make new ones and so on and so on. You can do a journal and get testimonials written up about you. It's all one grand party.

But then honestly I look at people with 176 friends and I wonder "Are they really your friends? Do you honestly have sustained and meaningful conversations with these individuals on a regular basis? Do you even want to?" I realized that for the most part the people I do like like that aren't on the website at all. I really just joined because the bloody e-mails inviting me to join were becoming a hassle and I like staking out one more claim in the vast internet wasteland.

But it is a treat to see this other side of people that I usually give a passing hello too. Some of their hopes and dreams and slang or whatever. And that's just one more shot of wanting to be a part of something. Some form of understanding of the world that exists around you.

No comments: