Thursday, February 08, 2007

The Boob Tube

From a young age, I was mesmerized by that electronic visual box found in most American homes. From a young age, I sought it out not only for entertainment, but also education on a range of subjects that fueled my discovery of so many other things I treasure. While other's clamored for video games and independence, I was only interested in observing as much television as I possibly could.

I probably reached my apex in the year I took off from Yale. That was when HBO and NBC ruled each year's Emmy showcase and all the shows were quality. Hell even Saturday Night Live was a must see weekly event. But as I kept going through my college years and my accesss to regularly scheduled tv diminshed, I developed a taste for other things, especially music and writing.

So it has been an unexpected surprise to just chill and watch some tv for a little bit. At first it was a procrastination method for my law school prep. Then it became my reward for completing that very same prep. Then it was also used as roommate bonding time, which I truly appreciate.

But I now remember what makes television so compelling. It's the connection with the current state of affairs. It seems so fresh and I'm not talking about the reality shows. It's ability to captivate us and ask us to come back week after week, sometimes day after day, is amazing. I don't think I will ever watch as much television as I did in that two year span following my initial withdrawal from Connecticut, but I know that it will sstill be my most trusted solace in my days, a reminder of a time when I watched Romper Room and learned colors and shapes and alls orts of lovely things.

No comments: