Thursday, January 18, 2007

What It Is

Once again my trip to the barbershop has spurred my musings into hyperdrive. Some selections:

- How is it that a bustling business and academic district is springing up directly adjacent to the projects. Honestly as I was walking back, the picture is of dilapidated, condemned buildings directly next to and under sprawling condominium complexes. How could such disparity coexist?

- Today's barbershop conversation was rather lively. Three men, I think in theoir eos, spoke about hip-hop politics, academic accountability, if Hitler was alive or not, and evidence of aliens in the Bible. Quite articulate and quite obvious that they were well read. Begs the question then, what the hell are you doing in a barbershop at 2:00 on a weekday afternoon? I shall not question their hustle further. I mean I was there right. What makes me any better?

- Barbershops remind me that I am black and I like being black.

- Kinship is an underrated facet of human life

- The way the barber cuts my hair is the way I would like to live my life. He was focused. He was part of the scene but he wasn't. A certain sprezzatura I can't explain.

- This trend of the leggings and heels in the city. I'm close to a heart attack. Winter is supposed to give men time to recharge for the spring/summer season. When you wear skin tight leggings and stiletto heeled boots you are not helping the situation. (Oh and by the way, there are a couple of you young ladies who are either too wispy or a little too healthy to effectively pull off the look. Please stop.)

Till the next posting children

No comments: