Monday, January 15, 2007

What Drives Us

So Sunday night we had special dinner for the Pats game and along with special dinner was soda. So after the festivities were complete and victory was securede of our older, more manipulative boys came asking me for more Sprite. No I said, every boy has a one cup limit. But he persisited, so I offered him a deal where if he had no incidents period the next day I would bring him a Dr. Pepper.

Needless to say he badgered the morning supervisor to see if he was doing a good job so that he could get the deal done in his favor. This kid even went to sleep early in the hopes of keeping him out of situations that were too tempting to go off track on. And even though he eventually did violate our deal, we came to a compromise because of his honesty but just because of his sheer ingenuity.

But I started to think how much he wanted something that he would forego more obvious pleasure for it. Than I wandered off to thinking about what drives us to do anything. Happiness? Survival? I have no answer. That's cool though.

(P.S. Mos Def is quite stellar)

No comments: