Thursday, May 27, 2004

So Close

Every once in a while, I'll catch a glimpse of myself in my floor length mirror and it turns into a full appraisal of the Adam of that day. Most of the time I come away with the same conclusion: pretty decent specimen, could be excellent with small alterations. I'm sure many people have this conclusion on a semi-regular basis as well. What keeps us from doing them however?

In my case, they're pretty simple. Pay better attention to my skin, break down and finally buy a beard trimmer, stick to a regular workout plan, actually do homework and read books and not just about poopsmoot. I'm attractive enough I figure and I'm not looking to grace some billboard, but these simple things might improve my look, my health, and my self-esteem. So why don't I do them?

Is it sheer laziness? Yet the supposed benefits should outweigh that slothfulness significantly. Possible it's impatience. It's like maybe the knowledge of how to do things should act as a key to just bring about the new me with no effort. Could it be complacency? Maybe just knowing what to do is enough, and telling myself I can start at any time just fosters procrastination. Maybe it's fear that the result won't be as great as hoped, that I won't turn into some virile specimen of masculinity and genius. Maybe I just need to jump in and stop calculating. Maybe I have to stop saying maybe.

1 comment:

.......................... said...

man, you're hilarious. thx for postin the real.