Thursday, May 27, 2004

Hot Damn

You may notice that I may have a focus on the youth of America on this site. (Wait a minute. Is there anyone out there anyway?) But truly they worry me. Yes I am only 23 but damn one day these little people are gonna run this place unless the Messiah returns before then (please please please).

Today's little rant about the youth comes courtesy of the movie Mean Girls. Now I saw this last Sunday and I enjoyed it, probably because of all the Saturday Night Live people getting to act outside of a recurring character. It's sad what SNL does to those people cause I bet they're some pretty crazy people if they're let loose. Sorry bout the tangent. The movie though is a milder, cheerier form of Heathers, that iconic black comedy that made a generation (plus me) fall in love with Winona Ryder, before she started stealing things.

Anyway, what disturbed me about the movie was the way the main characters dressed. I mean the little vixens looked like they stepped out of the Neiman Marcus catalog. That didn't bother me so much as when I stepped out of the movie and into the mall and there were like clones of these girls all around me. What happened to cheerleader outfits and jeans and stuff? Do the girls of America really think they have to look like this?

To me it just seems kind of dangerous to be sending that kind of message to teenage girls. Women's self esteem in this country is already kind of shoddy and having girls that young sweating how they look that much just seems problematic to me. Plus when the star of the movie, Lindsay Lohan gets caught with her nipple showing (and who I will stop feeling guilty about lusting over on July 2, 2004) it doesn't make it any better.

I'm not suggesting any plan of action to save them. I have no idea what to do. I can barely figure out the women my age, let alone some girls. But I just think that attention should be paid so that these girls aspire to be more than caricatures and stuff. Eloquent huh?

No comments: