Monday, October 29, 2007

The Wonderful World of Work

Yesterday, me and Mocha were bamboozled into believing my temporary assignment at the older boys' program was through. Sadly about 45 minutes in, we learned the sad truth that it was not. Once I found out that news, I figured I probably would be headed there today.

But before all that, I had to go to a training in place of one that had been cancelled on Thursday. So 10 hours in the midst of the organization. And it is Monday.

But it wasn't too bad. Training was quick and their were bagels and Sunny D. I even had good conversation with one of my superiors, who I thought hated me. But it also bothered me that we don't get along better cause it seems we like a lot of the same things. And this isn't a crush thing cause I know she's a lesbian. Maybe I just want everyone to like me.

Anyway after a brief stop at the supermarket, I made the call to my program director to figure out why wee were bamboozled. He wasn't there but I was proud of the message I left. I didn't back down. And he called right back and confirmed my departure. And confirmed next week as well, but then it should be over. We'll see.

But I realize that I cannot change these things so I shouldn't really too aggravated about it. I had my chances to make moves more quickly and not be in this position. I still could quit and find another gig in New York or even be brave and move away to DC or something. But I accept my position. I actually kind of like it. Interacting with different sets of kids can be energizing. I learned about Dungeons & Dragons and played a silly barely instructional game of basketball. I even got the chance to say goodbye to one of my favorites since they may have bumped his date of departure up a little more.

All in all, not such a bad day. I still need to make sure I get the hell out of there though. I'm needing more distractions to keep myself energized and motivated. That's a bit troubling. And Mocha informed me that tomorrow might be a maelstrom since one very aggressive boy is finding out some very disappointing news. And who usually draws him as an assignment? Yours truly.

I think I will sleep now and hope by the time I wake up, I won't be dreadful.

No comments: