Saturday, October 27, 2007

Where Amazing Happens

There was a time where I followed professional basketball like it was my religion. High holy days included Draft Day in June, which I actually watched in entirety, laughing as I saw the newly rich in awkward technicolor suits. Raised on CBS, my formative years with NBC, every SUnday from about January to June was filled with basketball. When I was older, I watched the cable broadcasts during the weeks, even enduring local Knicks broadcasts when the competition was up to it. All Star weekend was my holiday. The only time my attention eaned was to follow college basketball. But that only reinforced the love cause I was even more familiar with the players.

But things change. There has been a lull in the entertainment value lately. After Jordan left, the only brief blip of excitement has been the Shaq Kobe mini dynasty The poor NBA was hoping hat Lebron could deliver them, but his team failed him and even that failed to jump off. In its descent, football has asserted itself as king of the landscape. Even baseball has weathered scandal to be America's past time again. But basketball has seen poor gameplay and poor off court decisions bring it to the border of irrelevance. It is still number 3 but not because it has earned it. It just fell back there. NASCAR seems to generate more excitement, if not the money. But soon they'll exploit that. Whites and Southerners love it. It will make money soon.

But tonight I was captivated by two preseason games. In one, the Celtics showed off their off season acquistions and it was beautiful to watch again. Kevin Garnett distributed the ball to an active Paul Pierce and the sweet shooting Ray Allen. Even Rajon Rondo, with his lanky body and quick step, was a pleasure to watch. It was all so fluid and reminded me of the basketball I watched when I was younger.

So I decided to rededicate myself to all things basketball. Though I have been baptized into football, even college, I have a sports lull in the middle of the week and basketball could be the perfect fix. I still know the level of play could be upped but these young guys give me hope. It should be a fun season.

No comments: