Saturday, October 20, 2007

Carnegie '16

In my single digit years, probably around 8 or 9, I remember an instance after a church service where I told some adult that I wanted to be the first black president of the United States. I'm not sure what type of prescience I had at that point to predict that the spot would still be open by the time I was of age, but so far so good. And as much as I love Senator Obama, I doubt it will happen this time around. But Socrates somehow has always seemed to hold my potential in higher esteem than I have. He regularly refers to me as underachieving. This week he even alluded that I could have had a path similar to that of Mr. Obama.

It got me to thinking what happened to all those dreams. In New Haven, they must have got washed away with all my disillusionment cause that's the last distinct time I really felt like making a plan and definitively sticking with it. But Posh inspired me this week by sharing her her three different 5-year plans for life. Now I'm thinking I should have a 9-year plan to put me in position to make a run for the presidency. The greater goal is just self-actualization because sadly I am not a mason so my chances for the presidency must be nil.

In 9 years, this is what I would like:
- Financial solvency. The debt is there and I will incur more with grad school. But there's no reason it can't be managed. And there's also no reason that I can't be responsible for setting up my future.
- Ownership of property. Condo, house, something. With more in the future.
- Professional satisfaction. It seems established that I will be in some sort of profession that lets me exercise my altruistic spirit. I might stray for a bit. Cash is cash. But ultimately I want to make a lasting positive impact on this world.
- A family. I want a wife. I want kids. I want a dog. Simple.
- Amazing health. There is no reason I should be out of shape

So how do I go about this? For one, these applications need to be done by early December at the latest. And by mid-December, I need to have a license. I need to surround myself with the knowledge to accomplish this. I got a Suze Orman book for the financial part. And next year I need to be in grad school. I've started to actually follow a bit of an exercise plan.

But all this really needs is discipline, something that's been mostly absent in my tenure here on earth. I'm getting better at it though.

My advisor shared this with me when I finally got off my patoot and e-mailed her: "Remember movement only takes one step at a time."

One step, one step.

No comments: