Wednesday, June 02, 2004

U-Haul Trucks Are Circling

As I am a peripheral helper with my friend Posh's family's moving adventure, it occurred to me that I had never moved in my entire life, something that seemed to easily slip my mind. Yeah of course there is going from school to home, but I'm talking about monumental address change here. I mean my parents haven't even moved from the same apartment since about two years before I graced the planet with my presence. Is it a blessing or a curse?

For one thing, you can't beat that type of stability. Same phone number, room, and all that jazz. Nevertheless, I think I was deprived of the adventure. Posh and her two sisters were all born in different states. They've lived in Massachusetts, Michigan, New York, Illinois, Florida, and a couple countries in Africa. Now they're on the far right side of the curve, but still the idea of new experiences and new friends would have been wonderful.

Plus, I totally missed out on the practical skills of moving, like packing your things. When it came time for me to do that when going to school, I was honestly baffled. Making things squish the right way and protecting the right things were lessons I could have learned much earlier, before I turned my mini system into an elaborate, blinking, end table.

At least I was deprived of the childhood trauma of seeing a friend move away. The closest I came was when Elise, a fellow 4th grader I had once kissed in kindergarten, moved to Florida. We reciprocated crushes that last year we were together, but very maturely stayed away from acting on them since she had just broken up with my friend. Yeah that was 4th grade. Anyway, she moved to Florida in the summer. I was mildly crushed when I returned to school in the fall and she wasn't there, but the turmoil of skipping a grade quickly washed away that memory. I heard from friends that actually wrote letters and kept in touch with her that she turned into a serial-dye job kind of ho. I guess that's what Hialeah does to 4'11" Panamanians.

But going back to my original monorail of thought, in hindsight, I experienced the adult version of that trauma last summer. My best friend Hicksican Jew returned to his Naples paradise from Connecticut. Drizzle had already been in Texas. And our cadre of friends in Connecticut left too, save for Nitro. Plus, the people I really hung out with here in Massachusetts all bloody graduated. Right then and there, I was shown that I had a stability addiction and all of a sudden, I had to quit cold turkey. I guess I did alright. I made a new circle of friends I guess, even tighter than the first set I had up here.

But now I just want to move. Anywhere. I've always looked with admiration and envy at the people who just get up and against all logic just go somewhere. No prospects. No money. They just go. The starlet to Hollywood. The artist to New York. The people who just randomly point to a map and go there. So maybe I'll do that. Savannah, Georgia sounds nice. I think I'll just go.

No comments: