Sunday, June 06, 2004

Is It Supposed to Feel This Good

Something that has gotten me in trouble on at least one occasion is the wonderful art of flirting. As the dictionary goes, to flirt is to make playfully romantic or sexual overtures. Of course in doing this I also followed another meaning of the word when I dealt superficially with danger, but we'll just focus on my love of the romantic part today children.

What sparked this realization is an encounter I had today with a waitress in a restaurant. (I know what you're thinking but I wasn't her customer and I was getting something to go so scratch that ulterior motive theory.) As I sat in the place waiting, I checked her out as all men do when unencumbered by significant others. I placed her in my brain's definition of the cute demographic but still I wasn't gonna pursue anything, which resembles the majority of my flirting activities. But we shared eye contact and a smile. She then became overly attentive to what I needed and when she gave me my food she gave me another sweet smile, while seemingly trying to catch herself after realizing how tall I was.

Of course I'm probably over-romanticizing our two minute love affair but on my walk it made me wonder why I get such a charge out of it. Something about that moment, when one person knows that you find them attractive and vice versa, is electric. I can't put my finger on it. Then the ensuing game of whatever you want to call it just draws out an almost euphoric feeling.

Okay maybe it's not supposed to feel like a hit of X. Maybe my self-image is still stuck with that awkward 12-year old boy who was 5'3" with size 12 feet and actually had the word 'husky' on the label of his pants. Possibly I'm just targeting an element inherent in human nature that just likes being deemed attractive. Whatever it is I doubt I'll stop anytime soon.

Not because I'm a player or something. I don't search out these opportunities. They're just a matter of circumstance. I often figure out I am participating in flirting after the experience (Best-case scenario: During the encounter due to an out-of-body adventure). Even when I am cognizant of it, it's not always cause I'm trying to get with the girl. The girl I mention in the entry here (2/23/04-Practice) was never a possibility. She lives in Virginia, has a man, and might be too in love with Backstreet. But still we flirted (and kind of continued in digital form).

I guess it ultimately goes back to the need to feel attractive. The idea, no matter how remote the chances, that you might or could establish something in the future I guess is too intoxicating,. Maybe it's connecting with another person for a millisecond, real or imagined. It's something. I won't try to define it. Some mysteries are better unsolved. Until that danger thing becomes an issue and you need to put an end to it as soon as possible.

(Editor's Note: I would never do it in the presence of a significant other without express consent nor would I act on the possibilities of any flirtatious encounter while engaged in a monogamous relationship. I'm a thrill-seeker, not evil)

No comments: