Sunday, June 06, 2004

It Is The Best Policy

I'm not the master of clever titles so you were right to assume the topic is honesty. Of course when I say 'you' I use the term liberally since this is pretty much a sounding board for myself. But hey, that's honesty. And that's a big step for me.

I chronically lied. Mostly about things that I wanted to do. My desire to do them, and as a result seem interesting, ultimately led me to imagine how they would go down, very vividly and with specific details staying in line with my nickname. My vivid imagination replayed these scenarios enough that I honestly believed them. It's like I deserved for all these experiences to happen to me and so it was okay if they existed in the corners of my mind. Like it was once said of our dearly departed president's approach to life, the fantasy world and the real were almost inseparable, and the fantasy was much more appealing.

I'm squarely on the honesty kick though now and I'm quite sure it's where I'll stay. I was talking a couple of hours ago to my friend, explaining why my residence here will be extended. In the past, the truth would have seemed embarrassing. Amazingly, I didn't cover it up in one of my patented ways. I was straight up, even about my rediscovered alcohol abstinence. And it feels good. I even had the notion to write my aunt and tell her everything about my current academic situation, unsolicited. That would have never happened weeks ago. Not worrying about how and when you'll be found stuck in a web of deceit is incredibly liberating. I just wish I remembered those Bible lessons sooner. Honestly.

No comments: