Friday, May 25, 2007

Ugggggggggggggh/Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesss

So today I decided to go get a cut. I'm really not used to having them every two weeks but I would love to get back in the habit. Though I've gotten better at self-maintenance, something about sitting in the chair and having someone else do the dirty work.

But it's Friday so already more likely to have a line and I knew it but I had an iPod. However, after I finaly answered the alarm and moseyed my way over to the shop in the soon to be blistering sun, the line was even longer. Even worse the two people that I would have gone to were nowhere in the building.

So off I was to another section of the neighborhood with more barbershops. In one shop only one barber and an Algonquin round table of people waiting to get in the chair. In the next, it seemed full and I was about to say screw it all. But then it would be a month for a cut. And I might see people this weekend that I might want to look nice for. Plus it's just nice to be clean and I really had no plans.

So there we are. Five black guys of disparate ages all eagerly anticipating the rising of one person from any one of the four chairs. In the interim, people came in to inquire how long the wait was and usually left with the promise that they would return. Some came in and seemed like they presumably skipped us already on the couches, but we were reassured that they had appointments or simply were there before and came back.

Finally after learning how to make pie with Rosie O'Donnell and almost learning how to cut hair myself with the attention I was giving some people, I made eye contact with one barber and he indicated I was next. Now someone was there before me, but I thought he told someone else he was waiting for a specific barber. So when I got up and in the chair, I had no problem. I was giddy as a schoolboy.

And he did me so nice. And used razors to shape me up without asking. It's honestly the most comfortable I felt. I actually was texting during the cut, something I don't think I've ever entertained. It was absolutely phenomenal.

When I left, another man got in the chair and the guy who was ahead of me got upset. But I left knowing that he saw my ass get up past him and in the chair and he didn't say jack so he needs to work that out.

Earphones in. Exit.

I look too clean to sweat the small stuff.

No comments: