Friday, February 10, 2006

Blessings

I just went to my first Singspiration (the Friday night worship service on campus) in a very long time. I was kind of dreading it because I was asked to do a poem, which I haven't done in an even longer time. Even as I was going I was forcing myself to take deep breaths because I was feeling butterflies.

But when I walked in I already felt like a spot in my heart was filled. One reason is because it is fricking brick outside and heat is always wonderful. But mostly because of the songs permeating the area. Even though that feeling was almost immediately wiped out when I was told I would be performing next, I somehow made it through.

My poem was well received, even though some of the material might have been dicey for a religious setting. I even had some random adult guy ask if I was an English major. That was touching. I didn't think the word play was so phenomenal. The best part though was that people seemed to get a blessing from it, which is all it should be. It was a poem about love and love in its purest is not self-serving but worried about others. I know what I wrote but all I want is it for it to reach someone.

Singing continued and that was great cause I haven't had the chance to harmonize and just sing my heart out in a group for a while either. It was really just an awesome experience. Now I have a vested interest to make the return trip each week.

It also got me thinking about all the blessings I have. I have shelter, food, and all those basic necessities. Plus I have awesome friends, awesome co-workers, and an awesome family. Even more amazing is that there are people who have no real profit to gain by helping me, but still stick their necks out for me regardless. That's really fantastic. All in all I have nothing to complain about. The Lord has truly blessed me.

No comments: