Sunday, June 03, 2007

WIWUTS 6/3/07

Today I did not work at my usual program. Late last night, after a Three's Company excursion to see Shrek the Third (so inappropriate for the kiddies, but trippily funny at points), I remembered my new boss saying I was to be sent to one of the adolescent boys units to supervise, one I had barely been in, and never staffed. I was peeved when I heard one of my co-workers called out, but hopeful that would mean I would have to stay at my program.


But it all worked out in the end and there I was. I kind of missed my boys all day but being reunited with some of my old favorites was really pretty awesome. Plus it was nice to interact with more kids who could actually understand more things that I said without dumbing down as much. Plus those kids handle their issues more easily. More maturity means less energy spent on bickering about the ticky tack stuff. That also means easier since maturity also means a heightened sense of responsibility, which those young men have in spades. They still working out a couple of issues, but they're still working and that's the great thing.

But I did find a quote from my absolute favorite boy. He was the first new kid to come in under my tenure and was also my first hold alone. He is one of the best kids around. Wherever he went he was a charmer. Intelligent and also crazy athletic. Anyway, as I combed through the e-mail looking for the answer to some question about the house, I saw an e-mail another guest supervisor had written. This young woman is white and this boy is black. So he goes up to her and says "What's up my vanilla sister?" and she says "Is that just a way to call me white trash?" and after a pause he says "Yes."

And that's why I woke up this Sunday.

and club milk installment on the way home (how do the obese become that way? why doesn't the obtrusive light blink over their silly little heads?)

this message has been brought to you by life. go live it.

No comments: