Monday, June 11, 2007

The Mean Reds

Posh's Dad once said that depression was a rich man's disease. While I originally was deeply enlightened, I have now come to the realization that the statement is too simple of a caricature of a greater problem that can have many sources. But pondering on the statement, I see that while the meaning may have been wrong, his wording might have been more prescient than I previously thought.

His original intent was to say that depression only afflicted those who were rich in resources, whether it be talent, wealth, or both. As he related to my specific case, my extra resources caused indecisiveness and therefore depression. In cases of wealth, I could see his point because with enough time everyone can convince themselves that there problems are bigger than they are.

His statement was true beyond this scope though. Some people, like my children, just are born with an abundance of chemicals which tells their brain to be more succeptible to sadness and its entourage of effects. And there are those who are submerged in a series of experiences that knocks even the strongest of psyches to the floormat. Usually it takes a series of unfortunate events, but sometimes all it takes is one simple moment or circumstance. And while it may be singular, the intensity of emotions can be so intense that it forces the most proud to kneel in its wake.

Now I hope for homeostasis in every single element of my life.

No comments: