Sunday, January 30, 2005

Dream Occupation

I just happened to notice some cars parked. No I'm not under the influence of mind-altering substances. But it made me remember an incident where I realized how sick a driver my dad is. It all happened sometime in my high school years. We were visiting Maryland and at church there. When we went to leave we saw that some inconsiderate idiot had parked their car in a fashion that made it seriously difficult to get out. Just as my mom was about to go inside to find the perpetrator, Dad waved her off. It seemed like a movie at that point, the way he waved his hand seemed to cue off the slow motion. He just got in the car as we watched. He backed out some, adjusted the wheels, and drove back in. Over and over he repeated the process as my mom and I looked at each other from opposite sides of the car, communicating with our eyes that this was impossible. But as time went on, it seemed more and more plausible. After about seven minutes of moving, the BMW we had christened Casey broke free of the Mercury Cougar's restraint, free as a bird. I almost wanted to go hug my dad. I wanted to brag to everyone "Did you see what he just did?"

And know I realize that being a stunt driver would have been Dad's ideal occupation. His brain is capable of amazing things, but it has been consistently fried with the frustrations of the conventional and uncoventional 9 to 5. This is a man whose foot seems to have built in cruise control. He seamlessly switches lanes like a pro. And skids have never presented a problem. Plus he learned to drive in the mean streets of New York City. That's saying something in and of itself. They're don't even register on his radar. So with his skills and the supposed free and easy work schedule of the stunt driver it would have been perfect. He'd get paid. He'd have loads of free time to do the whatever that he does. And all would have been happy. Sad that this line of work is not emphasized in the island of Jamaica.

I need to be as good as that though. Even if I only use interstates and stay in the boondocks forever. I will pimp the road.

No comments: