Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Hang Me With The Strap

I've always bragged about the city of New York's transportation system. The fact that it had round the clock service and that its reach was so vast. Between trains and buses, there aren't many sections that you can't get to in the city. And even the outer reaches when you include the Long Island commuter buses and Metro North. I used to defend the authority when people said the service wasn't that great. Considering how what they do though, I thought it was fine. And knowing what you know about the thing you can always plan ahead.

But lately, I have even noticed it has been getting worse. Every weekend there are drastic alterations to schedules and molasses speed service. The other night, I got through D'Angelo's "Greatdayndamornin'/Booty" about 4.5 times before an F train came. I know it was a weekend night, but that song is about 7 minutes long. They're more and more inconsistent. And more and more crowded.

Now comes news that its only going to get worse. And we'll have to pay more for it. $2.50 a ride? For what? This is total insanity. And then more service cuts. And $103 a month to be unlimited? This is insane.

This is our new reality I guess. I hope it all works out in the end. I love the subway. Its the thing that always makes me feel at home. I hope this is just temporary though. Governor Paterson needs a homerun and rescuing the MTA could be a start.

No comments: