Friday, September 09, 2005

Windows to the Soul

I caught myself wondering about the power that a person's eyes have. Before one ever speaks a word, eyes can convey a total message, sometimes more than words alone can convey.

How can two spherical objects communicate the vast spectrum of human emotion? There are looks that kill yet the sparkle in one's eye can light up a room. Eyes can emit temperature changes across rooms as icy glares chill one to their core. A child's eyes can make one filled with warmth at the same time.

When you lie, your eyes naturally choose to dart away from the victim of your falsehoods. Truth can only be told with direct eye contact, or at least that is a prerequisite for belief. So much power contained in such small objects.

I've felt their power most in my experiences with love. Even in the silly games that are played in the early stages of a relationship, eyes are pivotal. They evoke intrigue and desire. Along the way it develops into a come hither look that says "I need to touch you/I need to kiss you/I need you." In its most pure form, in the midst of the sweetest embrace, just looking into your love's eyes says "I love you" better than the actual words ever will.

Sadly, hurt and pain come across so easily through those same eyes. The pain is so powerful at times that if forces one to avert any gazes or eye contact whatsoever. Looks can be so vivid that one can be broken down with a single episode. Its power is truly amazing.

I've been told I am a good eye reader. I wonder where I wold hae been without it, though I'm not sure I am as good as people say. The words we speak are often deceptions we force ourselves to believe. Eyes never lie though. And they've taught me about the deepest of human emotions. Taught me how deep I could feel, though in scattered moments, I've wished for blindness. Fortunately, my coins never land swuarely in the fountain and my journey of discovery continues.

No comments: