Wednesday, February 02, 2005

The Power of Prayer

So I found out that my good friend Lady Godiva found out that her boyfriend prayed about her. She's not physically injured or actively pursuing witchcraft-like activities. Her fear of having her eyes permanently crossed prevents that from ever happening. But in fact, he prayed about her in regards to their relationship. Whoa.

Now I'm a Christian. I believe in a Divine Being up there. And I pray to Him on a regular basis cause I think that He has a direct influence in my life. But her tale made me realize something as well. Mentioning the act of prayer has a way of having just as much influence as the act of praying or being the subject of a prayer.

Take Lady G's situation. Because of the prayer mention, she now realizes how serious this boy is about her, much to her dissatisfaction since she's likened him to a Hyundai after a string of luxury cars. This is further accentuated by the boy's natural demeanor: lazy. Most of his leisure time is dedicated to the art of relaxing. The fact that he took time out of his hectic schedule of sleeping and eating to have a discussion with the Almighty speaks very loud volumes.

And of course there are many other examples. Sometimes just seeing or hearing about someone praying makes people look more inwardly into themselves, makes them ask the questions that people most often tend to avoid. But just mentioning someone's inclusion in a prayer has the effect of being a healing agent just that simply. And there are a thousand other functions that I am probably overlooking as well. Makes one want to get their knees.

No comments: