Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Quintessential

One of the things that I draw joy from at work is the knowledge that a wide range of children feel comfortable saying hi to me and joking with me. Every once in a while I get extra pleasure from the puzzled and sometimes frustrated looks of the staff who are actually their charges. 

Anyway today as I picked up one of my own, a boy from another program came up to me and called me a human dictionary. Quickly he quizzed me on the meaning of the word quintessential. I responded, as his teacher listened, that it was something pure or the best. I was happy when his teacher actually kind of agreed and said something like the superlative. Of course he said we were both wrong and that it was "something in its purest essence."

But as I walked away, I dwelled on the word and what he claimed was its true meaning. Purest essence. That is quite a concept. It would be so nice to have some elements of life just get refined to the point that it was back to the quintessential. 

Okay, I am aimless. Its best to end here before I get wildly philosophical and reveal way too much about my psyche

No comments: