Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Cut Off

At some point yesterday, the text messaging element of my cell phone service stopped functioning. I didn't notice it initially. My phone still said mine were going out. I just assumed the rest of the world was ignoring me for their own reasons. But as my colleagues were discussing cell phones, it occurred to me that mine might actually have been the problem. I had Mocha text me right then and I received nothing. And I texted him in return and received nothing.

I tried it in two different phones thinking maybe I hit a button on accident on my Blackberry, but it has sunk in that something is up with AT & T or my account. I'm still hoping that I will magically be inundated with a flood of texts but I know eventually I will have to investigate things further. So far though I think its been a blessing.

In my effort to cope with life's glitches, some grand reflection must be drawn out of it. Honestly I have been using the text as my primary mode of communication with everyone which is sad. More sad considering it took the loss of the tool for me to realize how pathetic it was all getting. I've grown so addicted to texts that I have been unable to produce more than two sentences written at a time. I almost can't speak for more than two sentences.

So now is the time to reclaim those other forms of communicating like actual conversation and extended e-mails instead of bits and pieces. This whole isolation thing I've been doing in the past couple of months is seriously unhealthy, and the longer I stay in it, the further it pushes me down. Looking back on this blog, even though no one reads it, I used to produce much more. And even though most of the time it was about utter nonsense, I still had enough motivation to do it. Where the hell did that go?

I'm off to wake up

No comments: