Friday, November 06, 2009

Twestimony

My name is Adam and I tweet.

I was a middle adopter. A friend whose social media preferences I respect sent me an invitation. For a while it laid dormant in my inbox, then on a whim I signed up. I was still on my Facebook honeymoon so it was largely neglected. I texted when I remembered and randomly. Mostly it consisted of the random things that came to my head as I traversed through life.

But it started to get more publicity and more credibility and I explored. When Iranian election results were blacked out to media, and tweets were the only source of news and images I definitely paid more attention. My conversion and subsequent downfall has been the upgrade to a new phone. Armed with an app, it's basically won me over. The access to information and catharsis is a magnetic brew. If life is the university, then Twitter is the student center lounge. There's tons of interesting conversations, intellectual and ignorant and whatever exists in between. You take of it what you wish and hopefully you leave entertained/refreshed/inspired/questioning/searching/annoyed even. But if you use it right, it can be for the good. Of course there are people who have no lives and spend their whole days waddling in ignorance. Like I said you give and take what you want.

For example my Tuesday on Twitter went like this: Woke to an inspirational devotional from a friend in Missouri; had an absurd 'debate' with a friend in New York and another in Virginia about men who use the term SMH; got election day returns from around the country; also received World Series updates; not to mention the random humorous comments and interesting news links that I've grown accustomed to daily. And at the end of the day I got into a discussion where I could relive the tetherball glory of my youth. I randomly said something about Maine and whiteness. Within minutes I learned about the Volvo line and quiet racism that persists in the state. Not only is information so readily available, it's surprisingly pertinent and enlightening so consistently.

So far Twitter has introduced me to new people, two of which I physically met when they gave me a lead to a party when I was in DC. It's helped me network and helped with greater insight into my academic and career pursuits. Been put onto concerts, books, and events I would have had no idea about. I even learned one of my favorite singers is a Sabbatarian.

Maybe the most surprising product of my Twitter experience has been how inspiring it has been when my spirit was low. Sending a tweet about being down and seeing words of encouragement from people I don't even know in real life is edifying on a whole other level. I've had deep discussions about love of Christ and issues with religion and church attendance. Twitter has honestly sparked more deep introspection into my walk through life.

My Facebook addiction has waned but I'm not putting it out to pasture (that will be MySpace eventually). Facebook still is good for a whole different type of sharing. But in that same university of life, Facebook is more like the alumni relations office. When it's time to be active, to Twitter I will go (and share some of the best w/ Facebook)

I scoffed at the 140 character limit but never more. In addition to helping be more succinct and to the point, it helped me learn new things about people I know. It also got me to interact with new people who share my perspectives but also bring fresh ones. And in these last tumultuous months, Twitter has led to rediscovering how much life there is to lead out there. 140 characters has been especially liberating.
Adam Carnegie

2 comments:

Chan said...

"If life is the university, then Twitter is the student center lounge." How profound.

Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!